chez Colleen

chez Colleen is the internet blog and creative outlet for Colleen Berding, located in the middle of America. Recipes, reveries, and recess in no particular order.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Meanderings...and birthdays!

Well, it's been busy around my house trying to stuff all the Christmas decorations back into new and exciting places. We've been rearranging our storage area (or at least my hubby has...) so the configurations keep changing.

Since hubby will not be available for this year's SuperDuper party (he's working), we're doing it early with Bubba's birthday. What does this mean for me? Lots of work, but it's pretty easy. Thankfully, I only have a half day of school on Friday, so I can get a few things done before the shindig Saturday.

As usual, we're having the myriad of birthday cakes. We're starting the lineup with Mom's Imperial Pound Cake for my great-uncle and pineapple upside down (a favorite of Padre Giacomo). Bubba and hubby's friend Jeff get their carrot cakes with cream cheese icing. To finish it off, I make lots of chocolate cupcakes (for the kids who won't eat the other stuff). It should keep me busy!

I made a great tiramisu last weekend, so I'm tempted to try that again, since I know the big kids will like it. The recipe below, from Bel Gioioso mascarpone, was really simple.

Famous Tiramisu Dessert

3 large eggs, separating whites and yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup espresso or strong coffee
2 Tbsp. Cognac or Brandy (NOTE: Frangelico also works nicely)
8 oz. BelGioioso Mascarpone
1/8 cup cocoa
20 ladyfingers (toasted)

Combine 3 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp. espresso, sugar and Cognac in large mixing bowl. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add BelGioioso Mascarpone and beat 3-5 minutes or until consistency is smooth.
In another bowl, combine 3 egg whites and a pinch of sugar. Beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Gently fold into Mascarpone mixture.

Pour rest of espresso into flat dish, dip one side of each Ladyfinger, and layer on bottom of dish. Spread 1/2 Mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cocoa. Layer ladyfingers and finish with a Mascarpone layer and cocoa. Sprinkle and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Serves 6.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

colleen..we've lost touch. email me.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...clicked the wrong spot..contact kevin b!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?