chez Colleen

chez Colleen is the internet blog and creative outlet for Colleen Berding, located in the middle of America. Recipes, reveries, and recess in no particular order.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fight the couch potato syndrome and win

I have been reading a lot in my child psychology class lately. Oh, the dangers of TV and inactivity!

So far, I have been lucky that my child does not enjoy being a couch potato. He is constantly running, here, there and everywhere. Recently, he takes a ball with him outside and he proceeds to kick it down the hill in our yard and run after it, and he will do this for as long as possible. Surprisingly, for a three-year-old, he is demonstrating some good skills dribbling the ball.

What's the secret to get your kids up and running? Make it easy for them to do it. If they're not big enough to go in the backyard by themselves, take them out. Make it a ritual that they look forward to doing each day. We don't have a lot of time, but a few minutes here and there really makes a difference.

Luckily, I've discovered that there are certain things my son likes to do with me. He likes to help cook, especially when I'm baking something. Last night, as I made carrot cake and pumpkin bars, I enlisted his help. While you really need to watch small children in the kitchen, let them do things which you can easily oversee, like adding ingredients and stirring batter in a large bowl with plenty of room for overspill. They have fun, work on those motor skills, and learn about processes and how they make things work.

Just remember to keep an eye on them, so they don't end up IN the bowl, since that batter can taste really good! Good things will come to those who wait for the oven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?