chez Colleen

chez Colleen is the internet blog and creative outlet for Colleen Berding, located in the middle of America. Recipes, reveries, and recess in no particular order.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Adieu, Monsieur Limouzy

I found this in my speed read of the paper today. Pierre Limouzy was a fixture of the St. Louis University Department of Modern Languages for a long time. He was a native of Orleans, France and really sold the study abroad program when I was at SLU the first time in the late 1980s. He convinced me to go, and my life's never been the same since.

In fact, when I started back at SLU this past year, somehow they still thought he was my advisor. I'd bet he'd be shocked that I resurfaced at the School of Nursing. C'est pas vrai! ;->

Donnez-leur, Seigneur, le repos éternel.
Et que la lumière éternelle les éclaire.
Qu'ils reposent en paix.

(from http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/french/fran116.htm)

Limouzy, Dr. Pierre F. age 74, died December 14, 2006. His wife, Emma Jane Limouzy preceded him in death in 2004; loving uncle, brother-in-law and friend to many. Pierre was born in France, however, for many years he lived in University City and taught French at St. Louis Uni-versity until his retirement.

Services:A Memorial Service will be conducted on the first floor of Jesuit Hall, 3601 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63108 on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 5 p.m.

Memorial Contributions may be made to (The Roach Fellowship), a scholarship fund at St. Louis University for students studying French. Mail contributions to The Roach Fellowship, c /o St. Louis University Office of Development, DuBourg Hall, 3rd Floor, 221 North Grand, St. Louis, MO 63103. A service of THE LUPTON CHAPEL.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an odd way to find out about the death of a former professor, on the internet!
I was a French major in the early 1970's and Professor Limouzy was one of the bright lights delightful mentors then along with Madame Hamburg and Professor Roach.
I celebrate his life and grieve his passing.
Nous rendons grace a Dieu!
Fr. Roc O'Connor, SJ
Creighton University
Omaha, NE

9:45 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

Thanks Father for your post. It was a surprise to read today.

2:49 PM  
Blogger stltom said...

I was deeply saddened tonight when I read your post. I too spent a year in Orleans '87-'88 and was forever changed because of it. I'm sure there is a place in heaven for Prof L., for what he had to endure with me in 17th century French Lit.

11:27 PM  
Blogger stltom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?