chez Colleen

chez Colleen is the internet blog and creative outlet for Colleen Berding, located in the middle of America. Recipes, reveries, and recess in no particular order.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Getting ready for night shift

I'm sorry to say that I'm one of those morning people. I like to wake up anywhere from 4:30 to 6AM. Even on days I don't have to, like today, I was up by 6. Starting tomorrow night, I get the pleasure of working my first string of night shift hours, as part of my orientation.

So, to start, since I am so diurnal, I asked around about how people survive the night shift. I got lots of answers.

  • Go to bed as soon as you get home in the morning.

  • Do not sit down at 0500, or you may fall asleep. (One coworker suggested cleaning or restocking, so your mind is active.)

  • Use room darkening shades.

  • Get one of those masks for your eyes.


I also surfed the internet and found some intriguing articles:

Sleep tips from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Coping strategies for night shift (from encyclopedia.com)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to go back to sleep...in the morning. It should be interesting.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?