chez Colleen

chez Colleen is the internet blog and creative outlet for Colleen Berding, located in the middle of America. Recipes, reveries, and recess in no particular order.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm not in Casablanca...

However, from the looks of the recipes I've been cranking out today, you'd think I was in Casablanca!

The house is currently being perfumed by Moroccan Meatballs and Chicken and Chickpea Stew. How did I do it? Well, I took a couple of recipes from the internet and adapted them to my situation. Chicken thighs and ground lamb were on sale at my local store, so I bought some of both.

First, I made the Chicken and Chickpea Stew in my SmartPot crock pot from this recipe from www.goodhousekeeping.com. Below is my adaptation.
  • 5 pound(s) chicken thighs, skinned
  • 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
  • 1 (1-pound) jumbo onion, chopped
  • 2 clove(s) garlic
  • 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
  • 1 can(s) (28-ounce) whole tomatoes in puree
  • 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth
  • 6 large carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 can(s) (32-ounce) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup(s) pitted green and black olives, whole
First, I browned the chicken thighs in olive oil on both sides. Then I sprinkled the seasoning mixture (cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne) on top of each thigh. Once browned, I put the first 6 in the crock pot, then browned the remaining six and topped with spices when browned.

Next I added my can of tomatoes and my chickpeas to the crock pot on top of the first chicken thighs. When the rest of the thighs were done, I added those.

Following this, I chopped my carrots, and in the skillet I used for the chicken, I browned my onions and garlic slightly. When done, I added them all to the crockpot, and topped it with the olives.

Finally, I set the heat to four hours and away I went. NOTE : this dish is great with pasta or couscous on the side.

Photo of Chicken and Chickpea stew below:



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?